Making Buttermilk and Butter



So, this was an eyeopener for me and something that I am so truly glad that I researched and learnt.

For years I have found recipes, especially American ones that ask you to use buttermilk and I have had to put them aside because we don't have that for sale here in France. Ive seen it on the shelves in the uk but with the travel time between the two it would be pointless to try and bring it home with me.

Anyhow, turns out that buttermilk is just the leftover liquid after you make butter WHICH, may I add I have discovered to be really easy!!! Ive now got a freezer full of homemade herb butters which I will post some recipes for at another time but for now I would like to share with you my butter recipe. Not mine, its used the world over but for the sake of this being on our blog... its our recipe :)

What you will need is a good mixer. I was lucky enough to be given a KitchenAid for Mothers day this year which I have been using to its full potential.

You also need a heavy cream. If you ca find 40% that would be the ideal but I have made it with both 30% and 35% so whatever you can get your hands on really.



Ingredients 
200ml Heavy Cream
1 tsp flaked salt
1 tbsp live yoghurt

Method
Add the cream to y
our mixer bowl and add a tablespoon of live yoghurt. Leave this for ten minutes and go and make yourself a nice cup of tea.

Start the machine on a low setting and after about 3 minute speed it up a notch. You need to whip the cream basically so keep increasing the speed until you see it whipping up in size.

Now you need patience, the cream will whip and then it will start to deflate. At this stage I suggest turning the machine down a little and placing a tea towel over it... you will soon see why.

Once it has delated liquid will form at the bottom of the cream and then all of a sudden magic happens! The fat separates and globs of pure butter will form. This is when things start to get rather splashy, hence the need for the tea-towel. Let it beat a little longer to let the globs make much larger globs.

Viola! Butter and buttermilk!

Strain the liquid into a jar and refrigerate. Thats your buttermilk ready for cakes, bakes, fried chicken and any other amazing recipes that you may come across.

Not to the butter. You'll need cold hands and cold equipment for this. I have a plastic chopping boar which I use. You can use butter paddles but who has those laying around the house?

under cold running water work the butter through your hands, the aim here is to wash all of the buttermilk away from the butter. If it is left in then the butter will go rancid quite quickly. But if you've done it correctly it will last in the fridge for some time.

Once you think you've washed out all of the buttermilk... dry off the butter using a paper towel and then flatten. Sprinkle the flaked Salk and then work through. Salt will help the butter last much longer and it brings out the flavours too.

Once you've done this shape your butter and then wrap in greaseproof paper and keep in the fridge!

Its that simple and impresses anyone coming over for dinner!

Comments

Popular Posts